On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 09:19:35AM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> I think simulation of 32-bit x86 will get _more_ important as year 2038
> approaches, not less, because in about 2037, people will suddenly notice
> they need to test things before deployment.

Ah but if Debian doesn't support i386 as an architecture then the test for
deployment is very simple: you can't deploy, game over ;)

> [1] Running nroff and troff on an emulated PDP-11/45 running Version 7
>     Unix, to resolve compatibility defects in groff and settle arguments
>     about "authentic" Unix *roff behavior.

Dustin Kirkland once did a demo where he booted every 6-monthly Ubuntu
release since the dawn of time in a VM (15+ at the time, I think).  That's
much more useful for software archaeology of this sort than providing i386
host support in *future* Debian releases.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org