Hi

Le sam. 15 juil. 2023, 10:05, Jonas Smedegaard <jo...@jones.dk> a écrit :

> Quoting Nicolas Boulenguez (2023-07-12 15:55:09)
> > The Ada maintainers are considering a new naming scheme for -dev
> packages,
> > where
> >   libada-foo-dev Provides: libada-foo-dev-HASH.
> >   source packages Build-Depend: libada-foo-dev
> >   binary -dev packages Depend: libada-foo-dev-HASH
> > The intent is similar to the one of shared object versions, but the
> > name changes often (for example, with the architecture) and is
> > computed, so virtual packages seem more appropriate.
> >
> > Policy 3.6 does not disapprove:
> >     ... should not use virtual package names (except privately,
> >     amongst a cooperating group of packages) unless they have been
> >     agreed upon and appear in the list of virtual package names.
> > However politeness recommends to ask for objections before polluting
> > the package namespace.
> >
> > Haskell and Ocaml apparently use a similar scheme.
>
> I have no objections to this - it sounds like a good approach.
>
> Just want to point out that experience from Rust packaging indicates
> that general Debian tooling does a weaker job at dependency resolving
> for vritual packages, which (for Rust libraries) causes breakages of
> reverse dependencies, and may even (not quite sure) lead to breakage of
> testing due to libraries with unsatisfied (dependencies) migrating.

Two remarks:

- Since OCaml used this approach, I also implemented something similar for
Coq packages ;

- Indeed this is quite fragile; I have two scripts for Coq packages [1]:
one to tell me about the deps (I give it which package I have to upgrade
and it gives the list of affected packages by pass) and the other to
generate the migration script (I give it the list of new packages and their
new version and it generates what I have to tell FTP masters), but it's
still pretty painful.

Perhaps if there are several such instances of such package dependency
networks we should try to find a common and efficient solution Debian-wide ?

Cheers,

J.Puydt

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dh-coq