On Sat, 2023-08-05 at 17:29 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> Devref §6.8.8.2 also says that "it is common for Debian users who
> need to build software for non-Debian platforms to fetch the source
> from a Debian mirror rather than trying to locate a canonical upstream
> distribution point", but I'm not convinced that's true any more. Our
> volunteers' time is our most limited resource, so if we can use that
> time more efficiently by no longer catering to possibly-hypothetical
> users who are building our source code on non-Debian platforms, then
> that might be a worthwhile tradeoff.

For Guix and nixOS at least there are several references to the Debian
mirrors, so at least some distros rely on us for their source tarballs.
I expect that other source based distros do this too.

Personally, if I were to use a non-Debian platform, I would much prefer
getting tarballs from Debian, since they will be DFSG-checked at least,
which I would still want when dealing with non-Debian platforms.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise