On Sun, 2023-09-10 at 11:23 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, 2023-09-09 at 23:08 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>
> > My personal view is that it is a change in the right direction, and
> > have taken a couple of follow-up steps in Debian. There are still
> > loose
> > ends and more work to be done to achieve a consistent configuration
> > in
> > this respect. However, before taking further steps, I feel there is
> > need to reach out to a broader audience about the change. Hence
> > this
> > message. Basically I'm asking if this move towards Noto is
> > desirable
> > and, if so, I plea for relevant input for the completion of the
> > transition.
>
> Personally, I found Noto Mono to be very ugly in comparison to the
> DejaVu fonts that I was used to, so my knee-jerk reaction was to
> override the fontconfig settings to avoid all of the Noto fonts.
> I haven't yet evaluated the non-monospace Noto fonts though.
>
> Related discussion on the various IRC channels suggested that:
>
> Noto is meant to be a fallback font (something like unifont but
> not using bitmaps) not the default font for all or any languages.
>
> Noto makes the font selector useless because each alphabet shows up.
> Apparently fixing this requires changing the OpenType file format.
>
> Apparently the Noto meta package installs 700+ MB of font data,
> which seems a bit excessive to some folks.
>
> Some folks are setting explicit fonts in applications they use to
> avoid
> relying on system defaults and also seeing changes to those defaults.

I have similar personal feelings. Aesthetic matter differs from person
to person. As font can be seen as kind of artwork, can we make a pool
for the default font just like our wallpaper?

Noto is usually annoying to me. It provides too many "Noto .*" fonts
in whatever software which shows you a font selection menu.
It is likely that at least 1/3 of the whole fonts menu will be
overwhelmed by the Noto .* fonts that I'll never use, even
if I only keep fonts-noto-core and fonts-noto-cjk.

The number of fonts is overwhelming especially when I frequently
change the font in software like libreoffice, inkscape, etc.
I usually end up deleting the ttf files that I will never need.

Just a negative vote on Noto. Anything else is better.