On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 01:55:22PM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> The documentation you inked to does not specify a tag that can be used
> specifically to mark something as not actually a bug.
Yes, we just close those. The Debian BTS is not as rich as e.g. a typical
bugzilla installation in this regard. Though I guess not having a fixed
version and not having the wontfix tag usually suggests the report was
invalid.

>        This bug won't be fixed. Possibly because this is a choice
>        between two arbitrary ways of doing things and the maintainer
>        and submitter prefer different ways of doing things, possibly
>        because changing the behaviour will cause other, worse, problems
>        for others, or */possibly for other reasons./*
>
> "I don't consider this a bug" seems, to me, to fit under "other reasons."
Other reasons why *this bug won't be fixed*, which doesn't apply if this
is not a bug.

> Is there some harm that is done by marking a bug that falls into this
> category with "wontfix"?
I think there is some: it having wontfix suggests the bug is valid but
won't be fixed.
The harm is minimal though, because likely nobody will read this report if
it doesn't correspond to anything affecting other people.