"G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robin...@gmail.com> writes:

> How about this?

>      \-     Minus sign.  \- produces the basic Latin hyphen‐minus
>             specifying Unix command‐line options and frequently used in
>             file names.  “-” is a hyphen in roff; some output devices
>             replace it with U+2010 (hyphen) or similar.

Sorry for my original message, which was very poorly worded and probably
incredibly confusing.  Let me try to make less of a hash of it.  I think
what I'm proposing is something like:

\-   Basic Latin hyphen­minus (U+002D) or ASCII hyphen.  This is the
     character used for Unix command­line options and frequently in file
     names.  It is non-breaking; roff will not wrap lines at this
     character.  "-" (without the "\") is a true hyphen in roff, which is
     a different character; some output devices replace it with U+2010
     (hyphen) or similar.

What I was trying to get at but didn't express very well was to include
the specific Unicode code point and to avoid the term "minus sign" because
this character is not a minus sign in typography at all (although it is
used that way in code).  A minus sign is U+2212 and looks substantially
different because it is designed to match the appearance of the plus sign.
(For example, the line is often at a different height.)  I don't know if
*roff has a way of producing that character apart from providing it as
Unicode.

The above also explicitly says that it's non-breaking (I believe that's
the case, although please tell me if I got that wrong) and is more
(perhaps excessively) explicit about distinguishing it from "-" because of
all the confusion about this.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>