Hi,

I currently maintain two packages that use Debconf to decide whether to conduct some additional cleanup on uninstall, osk-sdl[0] and unl0kr[1]. Osk-sdl is deprecated upstream, so I'm trying to transition users of it to Unl0kr as part of the Trixie upgrade.

This upgrade process is working fine, with one exception, Unl0kr is unable to read osk-sdl's Debconf entries and thus leaves the system configured for it on uninstall, breaking disk encryption password entry and soft-bricking the user's device.

The code I'm using is at https://salsa.debian.org/DebianOnMobile-team/unl0kr/-/merge_requests/4/diffs#374a42abd88ea86fce84dcb1830e3f8662e5c597_14_14, it basically attempts to access the osk-sdl Debconf entry and perform the cleanup. Reading this entry from `debconf-show unl0kr` works fine but not in the package prerm script.

What I've tried so far:

* Reading osk-sdl's Debconf from Unl0kr => returns "not set".

* Reading osk-sdl's Debconf from osk-sdl and setting Unl0kr's => Unl0kr doesn't see it's config as set.

* Cleaning up osk-sdl's config on removal of osk-sdl => This would work, but I want users to be able to manually remove osk-sdl and retain a working system. The package will eventually be removed from Debian.

I'm hoping there's something simple I'm missing, but any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jarrah.

0: tracker.debian.org/osk-sdl

1: tracker.debian.org/unl0kr