On 08.02.24 20:07, Ansgar wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 2024-02-02 at 08:21 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
Once all of these packages have built in experimental and we have identified
and addressed all adverse interactions with the usrmerge transition, the
plan is:

  - dpkg uploaded to unstable with abi=time64 enabled by default[5]

How does this work when a user builds their own software using any
library build with abi=time64? They will still get a 32bit time_t &
others unless they use dpkg-buildflags as well, won't they?

If we already change ABI, why not change this in the toolchain (glibc,
gcc) so also user-build packages use the correct ABI? That was what
happened for other ABI changes like the C++ ABI change as far as I
remember.

for the GCC 5 changes (std::string ABI), libstdc++ provided the ABI for both the old and the new ABI, defaulting to the new ABI.

We can define that macro in GCC, however at the moment I'm unsure how to turn it off when passing explicitly -U. When doing that in GCC, it also should be done in other compilers like clang.

And there should be an explicit document/wiki page, which architectures (including ports) will have this turned on. For now I only know that it will be turned on for armhf, and not for i386.

Matthias