Vincent Lefevre <vinc...@vinc17.net> writes:
> On 2024-02-14 10:41:44 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I'm sorry, this is probably a really obvious question, but could you
>> explain the connection between the subject of your mail message and the
>> body of your mail message?  I can't see any relationship, so I guess I
>> need it spelled out for me in small words.

>> (I believe /etc/shells enforcement is done via PAM or in specific
>> programs that impose this as an additional non-POSIX restriction.  This
>> is outside the scope of POSIX.)

> What's the point of having a standard if programs are allowed to
> reject user settings for arbitrary and undocumented reasons?

I have literally no idea what you're talking about.  It would be really
helpful if you would describe what program rejected your setting and what
you expected to happen instead.

You mentioned /etc/shells in your previous message, but /etc/shells on my
system contains both the /usr/bin and the /bin paths, so I'm still at a
complete loss.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>