Hi Diane,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 08:59:39PM -0700, Diane Trout wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> On Sat, 2024-03-30 at 20:22 +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Lovely to hear from you, and oh wow, that's amazing, thank you!
> >
> > I can't speak for anyone else, but I suggest that pushing your
> > updates
> > to the science-team package would be very sensible; it would be silly
> > for someone else to have to redo your work.
> >
> > What more is needed for it to be ready for unstable?
>

> The things I think are kind of broken are:
>
> We've got 7.0.0 and upstreams current version is 15.0.2.

Yes, that does seem a little less than ideal!

> the pyarrow 7.0.0 tests fail because it depends on a python test
> library that breaks with pytest 8.0. Either I need to disable the
> python tests or upgrade to a newer version.

It may well be that newer versions would work with pytest 8.x.  I
don't think it's worth spending time trying to patch such a relatively
old version.

> My upgrade didn't go smoothly because uscan found also upstreams debian
> watch file which is too loose and matches some other tar balls on their
> distribution site.
>
> (Though I don't know why uscan keeps looking for watch files after
> finding one in debian/watch)

Oh dear.  uscan(1) does say:

       Unless --watchfile is given, uscan looks recursively for valid source
       trees starting from the current directory (see the below section
       "Directory name checking" for details).

and then:

       For each valid source tree found, typically the following happens:
       [...]

so yes, it will look at more than one location.

> And you were probably right in that arrow needs to be a team, because I
> have no idea how to get other the other languages interfaces packaged.

I suggest that without anyone else volunteering to do those other
language interfaces (perhaps it's not a pressing need for people
working with language X), I wonder whether it's worth just packaging
the Python (and presumably C++) interfaces for now, and then if others
want to join the effort to support language X later on, a new version
of the Debian package can be uploaded with a new binary package for
language X.  It does mean more trips through the NEW queue if and when
that happens, but given that no-one's shown interest in language X for
the last several years, this is unlikely to be much of an issue.

Version 7.0 provided support (it seems) for: GLib (seems that a draft
framework for building this is already in the Debian package, and it
can then be used in lots of languages), C++ (this is the core
libraries), C# (not of interest to us), Go, Java, JavaScript, Julia,
Matlab (not of interest to us), Python, R, Ruby.

> Oh and I probably need to get the pyarrow installed somewhere, since it
> was stopping at the tests I hadn't run into dh_missing errors yet.

Oh.  Would pybuild do that automatically (perhaps specifying
PYBUILD_PACKAGE)?

Best wishes,

   Julian