On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 09:35:09AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 08:15:10PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 05:12:17PM +0100, Sirius wrote:
> > > I have seen discussion about shifting away from the whole auto(re)conf
> > > tooling to CMake or Meson with there being a reasonable drawback to CMake.
> > > Is that something being discussed within Debian as well?
> > It's not in general something that Debian can unilaterally change.  And
> > in a number of cases switching build system would be pretty non-trivial.
>
> What we can do unilaterally is to disallow vendoring those files.

These files are supposed to be vendored in release tarballs,
the sane approach for getting rid of such vendored files would
be to discourage tarball uploads to the archive and encourage
git uploads instead.

> Does it help?  At least in the case of autoconf it removes one common
> source of hard to read files.

But I doubt every DD would be able to review the 2k LOC non-vendored
autoconf code in xz.

The experimental cmake build of xz also has 2700 LOC.

> Bastian

cu
Adrian