On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 03:19:23PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> I find that having the upstream source code in git (in the same form that
> we use for the .orig.tar.*, so including Autotools noise, etc. if present,
> but excluding any files that we exclude by repacking) is an extremely
> useful tool, because it lets me trace the history of all of the files
> that we are treating as source - whether hand-written or autogenerated -
> if I want to do that. If we are concerned about defending against actively
> malicious upstreams like the recent xz releases, then that's already a
> difficult task and one where it's probably unrealistic to expect a high
> success rate, but I think we are certainly not going to be able to achieve
> it if we reject tools like git that could make it easier.

Strongly agree.  For many many things I rely heavily on having the
upstream source code available in the same working tree when doing any
kind of archaeology across Debian package versions, which is something I
do a lot.

I would hate to see an attacker who relied on an overloaded maintainer
push us into significantly less convenient development setups, thereby
increasing the likelihood of overload.

> In the "debian/ only" workflow, the Debian delta is exactly the contents
> of debian/. There is no redundancy, so every tree is in some sense a
> valid one (although of course sometimes patches will fail to apply, or
> whatever).

I'd argue that this, and the similar error case in patches-unapplied, is
symmetric with the error case in the patches-applied workflow (although
it's true that there is redundancy in _commits_ in the latter case).

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwat...@debian.org]