Hello Go and Rust packagers,

On Thu 18 Apr 2024 at 11:29pm +03, Maytham Alsudany wrote:

> With the increasing amount of programs in Debian that Build-Depend and
> statically link with Golang and Rust libraries, it's important that
> the Debian Policy clearly sets out the requirements for declaring
> these statically-linked libraries.

I think Maytham is right that updating Policy for this is a priority.
It has been bothering me that misunderstandings of Built-Using have been
proliferating somewhat among newer contributors.  See also #999785.

Could you take a look at his proposed changes to Policy in #1069256,
please, and confirm they successfully reconcile Debian Policy with your
team policies?

I think that we should also include an explanation of why we have chosen
to do this using a new field in d/control like Static-Built-Using.
Policy is meant to be a record of our lessons learned in building a
distribution, and the lessons learned in trying to handle these new
hyper-statically linked language ecosystems seem important.

My immediate question is why the Haskell and OCaml team's approaches,
were not copied.  They seem to work well and don't require a new field.
That seems worth writing down.

Thank you Maytham for your work so far.

--
Sean Whitton