From: Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org>
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2024 08:20
To: Barak A. Pearlmutter
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default
[was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

On Mon, 6 May 2024 at 13:42, Barak A. Pearlmutter <b...@debian.org> wrote:

> > Then upon reading the release notes, on such a machine, one can simply do:
> >
> > touch /etc/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf
> >
> > And they get no automated cleanups.
>
> This also disables on-boot cleaning of /tmp/.

Yes, as it's going to be a tmpfs, so it is no longer needed. Trivial
to maintain though if one wants to do so, though.

> The root issue here is that deleting not-read-in-a-while
> but-maybe-stat'ed-recently-by-make-that-doesn't-count files from
> /var/tmp/ by default, particularly when the system didn't used to,
> violates the principle of least surprise.

Which is what release notes are for, if everything was always the same
we wouldn't spend time to put those together

> There's an old debugging story

While personal anecdotes and stories can be interesting and amusing in
many circumstances, I am not really looking for those at this very
moment. What I am looking for right now is packages or internal
infrastructure that need
an update to cope with these two changes before I upload them, so if
you know of any please do let me know and I'll happily look into it
and at least file a bug, if not a MR. Thanks.