Hi Sven,

On Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 06:38:52PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Makes perfect sense, but at the moment it can only be uploaded to
> experimental.
>
> > We're not in a freeze, so I guess that's fair game.
>
> We're not in a freeze but in the middle of the largest transition in
> Debian history[1], and during that a new major glibc version in unstable is
> out of the question.
>
> >> files for now and re-include either when glibc 2.38 is in unstable or
> >> when it is in testing.
> >
> > Why do we need to wait to ask for a glibc-doc_2.38-7 with the patch
> > dropped?  Does 2.38 have any freeze at the moment?
>
> Yes.  Every new major glibc version requires a transition (requiring
> rebuilds of all packages which use @GLIBC_PRIVATE symbols, among other
> things), and the one for glibc 2.38[2] has been pending for three
> months[3].

Hmmm, I understand.  If you want to temporarily drop these pages from
manpages-dev, go ahead.  Please undrop them when glibc-doc can make a
new release.  BTW, I guess glibc-doc must match libc6 version?
Otherwise, you could have a more recent glibc-doc that drops these pages
without upgrading libc6.  Are documentation changes frozen in such a
transition?

> >> There is also the problem that some derivatives (most notably Ubuntu)
> >> are already shipping glibc 2.39 and will have to adjust Breaks/Replaces
> >> versions in manpages-dev accordingly.
> >
> > Hmmm.  I suggest they patch glibc-doc to remove those manual pages.
> > They have been unsupported for a long time.  The last change in
> > glibc-doc is from 2013.
>
> I guess Ubuntu can then drop the glibc-doc package entirely, as they do
> not ship the upstream changelogs in it, and after dropping the pthread_*
> manpages the package would be empty.  TBH, I do not see much value in
> these changelogs and will probably uninstall glibc-doc from my systems.

Good.

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
Looking for a remote C programming job at the moment.