Hi Tim,

I have recently updated (3 days ago) my Debian testing Plasma 4.14.2 to
Plasma 5 successfully, but it was not trivial.

First, I tried to do the Plasma 5 upgrade by migrating from stable to
testing and performing the typicall apt-get upgrade && apt-get
dist-upgrade. However, such operations intends to uninstall packages such
as "task-kde-desktop", "kwin", "kde-standard" and so on. I accepted and
obviously the DE brokes after the reboot. I tried to perform the upgrade by
other similar ways (using aptitude instead of apt, etc) and always brokes.
So finally I decided to perform a fresh install of Debian 8.2 WITHOUT any
desktop environment, then install the KDE Desktop through the command line
and it works perfectly!
The steps I followed were:

1. Fresh install of Debian 8.2 (stable) WITHOUT Desktop Environment
2. Change "stable" to "testing" and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade &&
apt-get dist-upgrade, since you cannot update more your system. Kernel
4.2.0 is installed at this step.
3. Follow the instructions of https://wiki.debian.org/KDE to install KDE
desktop
     3.1. apt-get install aptitude tasksel     (They are already installed
but ensure it)
     3.2. aptitude install ~t^desktop$ ~t^kde-desktop$

And it works perfectly! Now, Plasma 5 is a little bit "fragile" (I cannot
say "unstable" because it is not true, but it is a little bit fragile).

Hope it helps!
Regards.

Javier.