> The build wants the image available (it does not really fail without, but
lacks stuff) and we need some dependency to keep image and headers in sync
for people using dkms.

To be honest, "it does not really fail without, but lacks stuff" seems like
the use case that "Recommends:" (or even "Suggests:") was designed for,
rather than "Depends:", don't you agree?

I'm not sure, of course, what problem is being addressed here; it's
possible that there's a more elegant solution available. Is there a
previous bug describing the problem?

My concern is that I have a specific build server which builds kernels and
modules for other machines in a farm. It needs to have the header files for
specific target kernel versions installed, but it is not sensible to have
the corresponding image packages installed (in many cases, those images
wouldn't even run on this build server).

        Colm