On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 14:14 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Tom Jägermeister wrote:
>
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > this issue was almost a year ago but I can remember it as it was quiet
> > annoying.
> > It turned out that I had to use module 'ahci' instead of 'pata_marvell', I
> > found the hint in the kernel config. However in the previous kernels
> > (before
> > 2.6.26-12 pata_marvell had worked alright).
> > Unfortunately pata_marvell seems to be preferred over ahci for the
> > mentioned
> > controller, so I had blacklisted the module and built all later kernels
> > without it. No more problems after ...
>
> closing as this indicates only a stable device names bug,
> which is userspace related and should be fixed by newer d-i that uses
> UUID and maybe soon on upgrade too.

This is not the problem.  The problem is that these controllers use a
single PCI function for all ports, implementing both AHCI and legacy HD
interfaces.  (Most PATA+SATA controllers have separate PCI functions.)
So one driver must bind to this function and handle all ports, but
instead we have two half-working libata drivers for this hardware:

- pata_marvell uses the legacy HD interfaces to drive both PATA and SATA
ports (despite its name), but apparently doesn't work with the SATA
ports on the 6145.

- ahci uses the AHCI, which is for SATA ports only.  Since it doesn't
support the PATA ports (bug #507432), it no longer binds to these
controllers by default (since upstream version 2.6.27 and Debian version
2.6.26-12).  In order to use it, you must blacklist pata_marvell and set
the ahci module option marvell_enable=1.

Since pata_marvell doesn't seem to work properly with the SATA ports on
the 6145, users may currently be *required* to change module parameters
just to make it work (and then without PATA functionality).

Dan Alderman has also run into this problem, and pointed me at the
vendor driver
<http://jetwaycomputer.com/download/Drivers/ADPE4S/Marvell_M88SE6145_Linux.zip>
which may be somewhat useful in understanding how to drive this hardware (no
datasheet is available).  But it is very different from a standard Linux ATA
driver.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings