Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Try KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 dpkg-buildpackage ...
>
> And hiding command lines by default is not broken; it makes it a hell
> of a lot easier to actually see warnings.

Though there is a question of what the default behavior on
autobuilders should be.

I guess it would be nice if packages supported some interface like
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=verbose to help toolchain hackers.  If you have
ideas for how to (or not to) move forward on that kind of thing, there
is a rough proposal at [1].

(BTW, sorry for the false starts before.  Now I suspect a possible
short-term fix is to eliminate the strncat call but have no particular
reason to believe it will work.  There's a disincentive to fix the
underlying problem because it flags these strncat() calls which are a
little insane.)

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;bug=628515