On Thursday 03 January 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > When I add a override, I do not want to be bugged with it.  This setting
> > might be reasonable when there is just 1 binary package - but most of my
> > packages produces many binary packages, most got some kind of lintian
> > override, so now it is quite some information.
>
> ...this is itself a problem.  Why do most of your packages have some sort
> of lintian override?  What tags are you having to override that this would
> be true?  Very few of my packages need lintian overrides.

Most of the overridesis related to putting different sonames in same package.
At least when packaging kde, this quite often makes sense. Another group is
due to "weird" upstream using of libraries called libkdeinit_*.so. And a
thirg "group" is a app having a shared library currently only used by that
app and stuffed in the same package as the app.

kdebase for example:
$ grep ^Package debian/control | wc --lines
35

$ ls debian/*.lintian | wc --lines
14

Having 14 packages in the same source package adding one or more lintian
override is making N: actually quite verbose.

> I'll mail debian-devel about this.

Probably a nice idea.

/Sune