Control: clone -1 -2
Control: retitle -2 gem2deb: Case sensitive handling of d/control
Control: reassign -2 gem2deb

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 15:27:20 -0800 Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> wrote:
Package: lintian
Version: 2.104.0
Severity: normal

Lintian now emits the following pedantic tag for packages using
P: remctl source: cute-field debian/control@ruby-remctl X-DhRuby-Root vs
X-Dhruby-Root
N:
P: cute-field
N:
N:   The named field uses a free-style form of capitalization, which is
N:   permitted by policy. The alternative offered is probably a more common
N:   variant in the archive.
N: N: Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 5.1 (Syntax of control files)
N:   for details.
N: N: Severity: pedantic N: N: Check: fields/style

However, following this advice breaks the Ruby package tooling.  The
build products are not copied into the package correctly and the resulting
package is empty.  Apparently the Ruby package tooling requires that
specific capitalization.

This is with gem2deb 1.4.

[...]

Hi

On one end, I do not think `lintian` decides the canonical case / spelling of a field. In that sense, I feel this bug is valid.

On the flip side, gem2deb does not follow the deb822 if field name case matters. The format is defined as case-insensitive.

"""
Field names are not case-sensitive, but it is usual to capitalize the field names using mixed case as shown below. Field values are case-sensitive unless the description of the field says otherwise.
"""

Cloned and reassigned accordingly.

Best regards,
Niels