I got both nut-nutrition and Nut (the fltk GUI version) compiled and running.

The problems were pretty much newbie compiling mistakes--I had to install:

   * libfltk1.3-dev --to get the development headers for fltk 1.3
   * libxpm-dev --to get the development headers for X11

I then found some very anomalous results, and, after reading the man page
several times and doing some experimentation, I realized the problem--if you
enter only one meal, the program multiplies the nutrients for that one meal by
three (assuming it is set for three meals a day) to get a daily value, and
that is what is displayed.

I'll have to play around a little more, but I guess it is important to have
something listed for each meal of the day (even plain water) to get the
analysis to come out correct.

Aside: I can't help but say that seems like an "unusual" design decision.

The GUI interface is much better than the CLI text menu interface, but not as
good as some of the more modern GUI interfaces.  I'll have to play around with
it for a few days to decide whether I can live with it or not.