Hi,

I got an O2 from a friend who was into graphics in school.  Turns out it
wasn't so easy for him to make use of it, and only when I looked into it
did I discover that it isn't really set up for graphics at all. (only has
audio I/O card, no expansion ports for video).

So I've wanted to put it to use.  I successfully installed IRIX from the
cds included, but I found that I was missing the proprietary CD with the
compiling tools, and the pre-compiled IRIX binaries at nekochan were
causing segmentation faults.  So i tried out netBSD but the install
scriptbroke<http://gnats.netbsd.org/46958>,
and I didn't have any experience with BSDs so I couldn't complete the
install.

Just now I got Debian onto it, and while there was still a tricky part with
partitioning (totally not automated, and nothing in the official
installation manual) where the installer dropped me into an fdisk session
without any instructions whatsoever, I was able to google the right way to
partition it <http://www.pvv.org/~pladsen/Indy/HOWTO.html#h> and the
installer was able to continue from that point in an automated fashion.

My first intention is to set up an IRC server.  Later I will like to try
compiling on it, though with 128MB of ram it won't be compiling anything
complex.

I read on the project main page that systems are used by developers for
testing, and a few are available at the moment.  Since I've successfully
diverted this from landfill, I figure that if it can be used by debian
developers then I'll be putting it to good use and contributing to
debian-mips in some small way.  I'm just not sure if there is a need, or if
that need can be filled by such a low-spec machine.

Let me know how I can be involved in the mips port!

-Adam