control: reopen -1
control: reassign -1 debian-policy
control: retitle -1 please stop mentioning urgency=critical
thanks

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 10:27:20PM +0100, Daniel Gröber wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 07:24:49PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > I believe Debian policy should be changed then and not mention a severity
> > which is not used in practice.
> Easier said than done. I see debian-policy@d.o is already CCed on this bug
> so, opinions?

debian-policy@ has been cc: on this bug because developers-reference and
debian-policy share the same mailinglist.

> Doesn't policy document the reality that these urgency values are in fact
> usable? Do you not agree that britney does in fact support these? If I go
> ahead and upload a package with urgency=critical will this be REJECTed by
> ftp-master?

It will not be rejected but setting the urgency has little practical
relevance these days. You could also upload with urgency=low or urgency=high
and that would be the same in practice.

> If not they exist so why shouldn't they be documented in devref?

- because it will make people use them
- because people always think their issues are critical
- because using them will not have an effect
- because people will then complain that they have no effect
- because all of this is a waste of someones time.

--
cheers,
        Holger

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  holger@(debian|reproducible-builds|layer-acht).org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀  OpenPGP: B8BF54137B09D35CF026FE9D 091AB856069AAA1C
 ⠈⠳⣄

https://showyourstripes.info