Hi!

On Wed, 2024-05-08 at 16:39:16 +0100, Sean Whitton wrote:
> 'make update-po' changes files under locales/.
> Our translators Hideki, Fei Ding and Ke Zhang work under policy/locale/.
>
> This seems wrong.  As far as I can tell, when the English is updated, we
> are not updating the .po files that are actually being translated.
>
> Looking at
>
>     % git log --stat -10 --author=henrich debian/4.2.0.1
>
> shows that around the time when Hideki internationalised Policy, he was
> editing files under both directories.  This suggests that it wasn't that
> Ian, Russ or I accidentally introduced a duplicate set of .po files when
> we were later working on the internationalisation.

When the i18n support was merged I briefly looked into it, but the
sphinx i18n support looked a bit alien along its directory hierarchy,
so stopped looking.

Doing some brief checks now, it seems to confirm that locales/
contains no major translations, while policy/locale/ does:

  for po in policy/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/*.po; do
    echo "== $po =="
    msgfmt --output=/dev/null --statistics $po
  done

vs

  for po in locales/ja/LC_MESSAGES/*.po; do
    echo "== $po =="
    msgfmt --output=/dev/null --statistics $po
  done

In addition, re-running the above msgfmt with --check, and also running
«i18nspector **/*.po», both emit multiple things that could be fixed,
or improved.

Thanks,
Guillem