I am going to try and split this out into two replies, so those
following along can see the different issues. The irony of the
difficulty on doing this within email may or may not be lost for others.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 02:43:31PM -0700, Ihor Antonov wrote:
> - There are only 2 browsers out there in existence (Firefox and Chrome
> variants) and duopoly in browser market is already alarming enough.
> There are much more email clients available.

I have tried Epiphany, which works fine for reading and replying.
I have tried with dillo and lynx, which work fine without Javascript
enabled at all for reading.

You can also interact with Discourse via email.

> 2. I can't now use email the way I did. Discord's email interface is
> subpar in spite of what sales people tell you. So If I want "a
> first-class citizen" experience I am stuck with option 1

This is correct. Discourse interaction by email can never be as good as
interacting with it via a fully featured web browser. This is because,
well, email isn't a fully featured web browser.

There is a commitment to improve the email integration from at least one
Discourse employee, who also happens to be a Debian Developer. I but do
want to emphasise the point I made in my original mail:
> It should be noted however, that there is not 1:1 feature partiy with
> email and the web interface, as Discorse does things that can't easily
> be done with email. For the majority of users though, email
> interaction should be "good enough".

Neil