Hi Diane,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 11:49:07AM -0700, Diane Trout wrote:
> On Mon, 2024-03-25 at 18:17 +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> >

> > So this is a plea for anyone looking for something really helpful to
> > do: it would be great to have a group of developers finally package
> > this!  There was some initial work done (see the RFP bug report for
> > details: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=970021),
> > but that is fairly old now.  As Apache Arrow supports numerous
> > languages, it may well benefit from having a group of developers with
> > different areas of expertise to build it.  (Or perhaps it would make
> > more sense to split the upstream source into a collection of
> > different
> > Debian source packages for the different supported languages.  I
> > don't
> > know.)  Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to devote any time to
> > it myself.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for anyone who can step forward for this!
>
> I've been maintain dask and anndata and saw that apache arrow was
> getting increasingly popular.
>
> I took the current science-team preliminary packaging 7.0.0 packaging
> and managed to get it to build through a combination of patches and
> turning off features.
>
> I even mostly managed to get pyarrow to build. (Though some tests fail
> due to pytest lazy-fixture being abandoned).
>
> I pushed my current work in progress to.
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/diane/arrow.git
>
> Was anyone else planning on working on it or should I push my updates
> to the science-team package?

Lovely to hear from you, and oh wow, that's amazing, thank you!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I suggest that pushing your updates
to the science-team package would be very sensible; it would be silly
for someone else to have to redo your work.

What more is needed for it to be ready for unstable?

Best wishes,

   Julian