[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> The sqlcipher package is now orphaned.  Daniel, perhaps you can have a
> look at updating it?

I had a look, but discovered that the symbol set in the libsqlcipher0
package has change so much between version 3.4.1 and 4.5.5 that the
build fail.  I suspect this mean a soname transition is needed.  I have
too little experience with maintaining a shared library to feel
comfortable to do this without further research.  Perhaps you can help?

I upgraded to version 3.4.2 in git, and this did not break the build.  A
small set of symbols were added to the library, and I updated
debian/libsqlcipher0.symbols with the list.  Not sure if any of them
should be optional, so I have not uploaded this new version yet.
Perhaps it should go to experimental, or is it better to just move
directly to 4.5.5?  Note, several of the patches did not apply in 4.5.5,
so that will require some investigation too.

On the positive side, I tested a non-Debian build of 4.5.5 and was able
to read messages from the encrypted Signal database, so I now know a
newer version will solve my problem.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen