Package: release.debian.org
Severity: normal
Tags: bullseye
User: release.debian....@packages.debian.org
Usertags: pu

Hello,

I would like to fix CVE-2021-4104, CVE-2022-23302, CVE-2022-23305 and
CVE-2022-23307 in apache-log4j1.2. These issues are less severe
because the affected classes are not used by any of the
reverse-dependencies. The features are not enabled by default. In
order to completely mitigate against the vulnerabilities the classes
have been removed completely. I believe this is safer than just
stating the workaround in the security tracker. Note that the fix in
unstable differs from this approach because we recently discovered a
new (unofficial) project that provides security fixes for apache-log4j1.2 again.
Since we would like to see more exposure of those changes first, we
have decided to just remove the unused classes in stable and
oldstable.

[ Checklist ]
  [*] *all* changes are documented in the d/changelog
  [*] I reviewed all changes and I approve them
  [*] attach debdiff against the package in (old)stable
  [*] the issue is verified as fixed in unstable

Regards,

Markus