Control: tags -1 moreinfo

* Nicolas Boulenguez <nico...@debian.org> [2019-12-08 16:24]:

The attached archive contains various suggestions related to the Ada binding. The last commit switches the Ada compiler from GCC-8 to -9.

Thanks for the patches.

I ignore if this compiler change breaks the plplot-ada ABI. If so, libplplotada4.deb should be renamed to libplplotada5.deb, and CMake should be told that plplotada_SOVERSION=5.

Could you please suggest a way to test for the ABI breakage ?

At any rate, I think that bumping the SOVERSION like this must be done upstream, don't you think? I am not sure it is a good idea to have the Debian packaging messing with this.

I have also another question regarding the package naming. I see that you introduced, in commit 95d5fc9 [1], the change in naming of libplplot-ada-dev to libplplotada1-dev. Is there any specific reason you have chosen the number "1"? Would it not be better to have both packages in sync, like libplplotadaN and libplplotadaN-dev?

Please upload to experimental so that the new package(s) pass the NEW queue. Once all Ada packages are ready, we will reupload them to unstable.

Okay.

Best,

Rafael Laboissière

[1]