On 1 July 2009 at 20:14, Charles Plessy wrote:
| I have found today a nice R GUI written in Java, JGR (speak 'Jaguar').
| http://jgr.markushelbig.org/JGR.html

Yes -- I had of course been aware of it for years and had versions on my
box. JGR had won a software price in the R world when Simon (a co-author on
this, now at AT&T Research) was still a student.

I never packaged it because I had trouble reliably building Java / R apps --
for lack of free Java rich enough to build it, or for a while for a lack of
the right approach from the R side of things.  That changed a few years
ago---and I was able to put the required bridge package 'r-cran-rjava' (upon
all the other build) into Debian.

That said, this is still fragile and things break from time to time, eg in
our cran2deb conversions. [ As I may have mentioned, I will be giving a talk
about 'cran2deb' at UseR 2009 next week.  We now build over 1760 packages
from CRAN fully automatically.  JGR had issue that I didn't fully understand
-- from the cronjob it broke the build, building by hand worked. Now,
cran2deb is not meant to replace the Debian packaging effort.  It simply
takes away the silly manual labour for easy packages.  Whether Debian
packages from it will appear somewhere for broader use is still not quite
clear. ]

| Using CDBS, it was very easy to make draft Debian source packages for it and
| its dependancies (r-cran-javagd, r-cran-iplots). The GUI seems to run fine,
| althoug a bit slowly, but I suspect it is partially because I am using a
| PowerPC machine.
|
| I could of course go forward and make official Debian package, but I am really
| affraid that packaging a GUI attracts a lot of user feedback, and I am not
sure
| that I would be able to cope with it without impairing my Debian Med
| activities, which are my priorities. Moreover, I am a complete Java ignorant.

It is always best to package things one actually uses and cares about :)

So by all means, if folks use it, they should package it.

| You can then guess the question: who would be interested in co-maintaining the
| packages? Would you prefer a Git or a Subversion repository?
|
| (I have CCed Dirk because I do not remember if he is subscribed to that list).

He is. But thanks either way :)

Dirk