From: Phil Endecott <phil_etbqo_endec...@chezphil.org>
Sent: 08 February 2023 14:02
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Apache doesn't restart after new libssl is installed

⚠ External sender. Take care when opening links or attachments. Do not provide
your login details.

Dear Experts,

I have a Debian 11 system running Apache and unattended-upgrades.

I received the DSA 5343-1 email advertising the new openssl
package, 1.1.1n-0+deb11u4. Unattended-upgrades had installed this
before I even read the email - great.

But Apache has not been restarted, and it seems to be running
with the old libssl still:

# grep ssl /proc/661/maps
7fcb5bd97000-7fcb5bdb4000 r--p 00000000 ca:02 265814
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1 (deleted)

Obviously the security issues are not closed until Apache (and
any other daemon linked with openssl) restart, and that may not
happen for a long time! This is not the first time I have seen
something like this happen.

Whose responsibility is this? Should the Apache package somehow
know that it needs to restart itself? Should the libssl package
do something to cause Apache to restart? Should the unattended-
upgrades package know to restart Apache when libssl has been
upgraded?

I know there is a mechanism of some kind to cause daemons to
restart when libraries they use are being replaced; is that just
for libc updates, or something?

Thanks,

Phil.

P.S. If you Cc: me in your reply, I'll see it sooner.