On Tue,  1 Jan 2008 12:07:38 +0000 (UTC)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > On a recently updated testing system, I went to use 'locate' to
> > > find something, and it's not found.  Is my system somehow hosed
> > > or did 'locate' get, uh, relocated or something?
> > >=20
>
> > You need to update the database, with, as root, the updatedb
> > command. Then locate will find all your newly installed files.
>
> I think he means "where did locate go"?? It's been moved into its own
> package. install your choice of locate, slocate, mlocate etc.

Ah.  Yes, that's possible.  I use Etch, rather than Lenny, so I'm not
privy to the issue of adjusting to the various changes that are
happening.  Occasionally I've wondered why locate wasn't finding files,
later realizing that I had not updated the database; so, I just thought
I'd mention it.  However, I've not had the experience of losing the
locate function after a dist-upgrade (given my sticking with stable).

Mark