I changed /etc/apt/sources.list and got the followihg:

# apt-get update
Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg [386B]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch Release
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing Release.gpg
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages
Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org etch/non-free Packages
Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Fetched 1B in 4s (0B/s)
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occurred while processing tkusr (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I tried
     rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*

     (dont know what they do). Then
          # apt-get update
          Err http://http.us.debian.org etch Release.gpg
            Could not connect to http.us.debian.org:80 (1.0.0.0),
connection timed out
            Err ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing Release.gpg
              Could not connect to ftp.us.debian.org:21 (1.0.0.0),
connection timed out
              Failed to fetch
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/Release.gpg  Could not
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/Release.gpg  Could not
connect to http.us.debian.org:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out
              Reading package lists... Error!
              E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
              E: Error occurred while processing tkusr (NewVersion1)
              E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages
              E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

              It s a mess. bUt i believe there is a specific problem
to be addressed.
              just dont know which! Maybe this email is more confusing
then helping.
              If u aggree, just ignore it  :-)