I have some interesting information on this outstanding problem.

I sincerely hope someone reading this will give me advice to solve it.

When I log in as root and run mozilla, I can print proportional fonts using Xprint. Only when I run mozilla as (user) myself do I get the Courier only font problem mentioned in this thread.

I suspect that some environment variable or dotfile in my home directory is responsible for this difference in behaviour.

I note that the differences between root and myself may reside in one of the following dotfiles/dotfile directories in our respective home directories:

.defoma
.fonts.cache-1
.fonts.conf
.kde/share/config (some files here have [KPrinter Settings] that root does not have)
.mozilla/fonts/catalog (these were different, but moving files to make them identical did hot solve the problem)
.qt
.xftcache

This is an empirical approach because I do not have the theoretical knowledge of where to look for the problem and/or solution.

The one thing I am certain of is that the encodings.dir may not be the cause of the problem (see my previous e-mail) and also because proportional fonts are seen and printed for root.

There may also be useful info from "set" for root and myself.

I sincerely hope someone will reply this e-mail and help me track down this problem further.

Thank you.

--Chandra

Roland Mainz wrote:
"R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar" wrote:

[snip]

A transaction listing of my Xprint setup is:
***
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]># echo ${XPSERVERLIST}
:64
***
***
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]># env DISPLAY=:64 xset q | sed -n '/^Font Path:/{n;s/
//g;p;q;}' | tr ',' '\n'
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":64.0".
PRINTER:/usr/share/Xprint/xserver/C/print//models/PSspooldir//fonts/
PRINTER:/usr/share/Xprint/xserver/C/print//models/PSdefault//fonts/
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
***

[snip]

I can print from Mozilla using Xprint.  However, I cannot get even
standard PostScript fonts like Times Roman or Helvetica; only Courier,
even though I am supposed to get even TrueType support with the version
of xprt-xprintorg that I am using.

The Truetype support in the xprint.mozdev.org Xprint server uses the
FreeType TTF/OTF engine from Xfree86 so it needs the encodings.dir stuff
set-up properly... - is that true in your case ?

The Mozilla print preview with xprt-xprintorg shows the proportional
sans serif fonts on web pages, but the hardcopy output from the printer
only shows fixed width Courier fonts. Even when I save to a .ps file and
view it with gv, I only see Courier fonts, unlike the print preview
which shows the proportional fonts.

To illustrate what I am facing, I have included two .ps files:

[snip]

(b) google_xprt.ps (obtained with ps@:64, my printer being called ps in
CUPS)

Weired.

Note that the print preview shows the fonts as they appear in
google_kprinter.ps.

Note that removing xfs, or xfs-xtt, or both, makes no difference.

Questions:
1. Does % (DISPLAY=:64 xlsfonts) # list any fonts except the "Courier"
and "fixed"/"cursor" fonts ?
2. Are the Xprint server config files (e.g.
/usr/share/Xprint/xserver/C/print/) installed ?
3. Are the font _files_ in the font path readable for the Xprint server
?
4. Are there any error messages or warnings from the Xprint server ?
5. Does the Xprint server find the encodings.dir font encodings table ?

----

Bye,
Roland

-- ------------------ Dr R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar Australian Research Centre for Medical Engineering (ARCME) Murdoch University South Street, Murdoch, WA 6150, AUSTRALIA Phone: +61-(8)-9360-2783 Fax: +61-(8)-9360-6304 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] The Murdoch University CRICOS Provider Code is 00125J ------------------