Brian wrote:
On Thu 13 Dec 2012 at 07:29:12 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

When I use it in my preseed.cfg I get an error message.

ERROR MESSAGE TITLE  ---
      Configuring keyboard-configuration
ERROR MESSAGE TEXT   ---
      Please select the layout matching the keyboard for this
machine.

I choose the first of many options and the install proceeds to a
successful conclusion.

What is missing in the preseed.cfg file?

You fail to say which distribution you are using and which preseeding
method is employed.

See first line of my post.

I'll guess at Squeeze for the first omission. For
the second you have Sections B.1.1., B.2.2. and B.2.3. of the manual.

B.1.1. only mention of keyboard related issues is "In order to avoid the questions that would normally appear before the preseeding occurs, you can start the installer in “auto” mode. This delays questions that would normally be asked too early for preseeding (i.e. language, country and keyboard selection) until after the network comes up, thus allowing them to be preseeded. It also runs the installation at critical priority, which avoids many unimportant questions."

B.2.2.talks about " Using boot parameters to preseed questions" generally but says *NOTHING* about any values for keyboard related parameters.

B.2.3. only mention of keyboard related issues is "The auto boot label is not yet defined everywhere. The same effect may be achieved by simply adding the two parameters auto=true priority=critical to the kernel command line. The auto parameter is an alias for auto-install/enable and setting it to true delays the locale and keyboard questions until after there has been a chance to preseed them, while priority is an alias for debconf/priority and setting it to critical stops any questions with a lower priority from being asked."