Hi all,

I've used logcheck for ages, to email me about potential problems from my log files.

I end up spending a lot of time scanning the emails, and then occasionally a bunch of time updating the filter rules to stop most of those messages coming through.

My thought is to configure rsyslog to create extra logfiles, equivalent to syslog and auth.log (the two files that logcheck monitors by default), which only log messages at priority 'warning' or above, and configure logcheck to monitor those instead. This should cut down the amount of filter maintenance considerably.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

A quick test does show that I'll still get messages I can't do much about - eg I telnetted to the ssh port and closed the connection, and my logfile reported that interaction as an error. That kind of thing should still be easily filtered, though.

I think I'd want to create a completely fresh set of filters, rather than using the supplied defaults, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Cheers,
Richard