On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 12:48:13PM +0100, Richmond wrote:
I have configured an ipv6 tunnel. If I visit this site:

http://ip6.me/

The "normal" test shows my ipv4 address, and the:

http://ip6only.me/

shows the ipv6 address.

However if I switch my DNS from opendns to the one provided by my ISP
and then run the "normal" test it shows the ipv6.

The note says:

(preference depends on your OS/client)

So how is the preference determined? It seems to be determined by the
DNS, but why or how do I tell for example with host -v?

Modern browsers generally follow https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6555 and connect to both, using whichever connection completes first.

You may see different results on repeated connection attempts (but not necessarily for immediate retries due to connection caching).