On 11/04/23 15:17, gene heskett wrote:
On 4/10/23 18:04, zithro wrote:

So, I got curious about his claim : "that change to resolv.conf adding the search line [search hosts, nameserver] has been required since red hat 5.0 in 1998".
(The bracket addition is mine)

I'm not using RHEl-based systems a lot so I may be wrong, and there's not a lot of material left from the 1998 web, but the resolv.conf file *looks* identical in RHEL-based systems, at least nowadays. I quickly browsed a few RH help pages about resolv.conf, but couldn't find his claim.

I then searched for "search hosts, nameserver" on search engines (-with- the quotes, to only get full-match results). Either I get no results or ... wait for it ... it *ONLY* gives me results where Gene posted !

So Gene, can you tell us where you read this ?

In a man page from a good 20 years ago. I still have a copy of that original redhat 5.0 on a shelf above me, but not a floppy drive to read those disks with.

Well, it's not in resolver(5) (which is for resolv.conf) on Red Hat 5.0.5.

Richard