On 31/10/23 16:27, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 30/10/2023 14:03, Richard Hector wrote:
On 24/10/23 06:01, Max Nikulin wrote:
getent -s dns hosts zircon

Ah, thanks. But I don't feel too bad about not finding that ... 'service' is not defined in that file, 'dns' doesn't occur, and searching for 'hosts' doesn't give anything useful either. I guess reading nsswitch.conf(5) is required.

Do you mean that "hosts" entry in your /etc/nsswitch.conf lacks "dns"? Even systemd nss plugins recommend to keep it as a fallback. If you get no results then your resolver or DNS server may not be configured to resolve single-label names. Try some full name

     getent -s dns ahosts debian.org

Sorry for the confusion (and delay) - I think I was referring to the getent man page, rather than the config file.

Richard