On 1/17/24 16:16, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

i wrote:
What did finally help ? Just the shorter terminal scroll back memory ?

gene heskett wrote:
That, and possibly the --bwlimit=10m, giving the SSD time to keep their
stuff in one sock.

Then i place my bet on the terminal alone.
Linux is able to handle disk-to-disk copies that are larger than the
available memory. This is a standard use case.

How large was it set when your runs caused the OOM killer to act ?

different terminal, xfce4's is apparently unlimited but can't find it in the
config prefs.

I normally start new xterms by

   xterm -ls -geometry 80x24 -bg wheat -fg black -sl 10000 +sb &

The -sl option gives the number of lines to be memorized for scrollback.
Black-on-wheat is a calmative color combination which does not overwork
the eyes.

Thank you, I did not know that.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas