On 1/23/24 00:30, Karl Vogel wrote:
On 1/22/24 11:31, gene heskett wrote:

G> How does an 8T backup server sound for another $200 in hdwe?  Very
G> enticing and I do have the sheckel's.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQJBSQL
Seagate Desktop 8TB external Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, USB 3.0 STGY8000400
$168.18

What if you buy two, use one for a complete backup and the other for
incrementals or differentials?  (I know, more than $200...)

My disastrous experience with the last pair of seagates preclude exploring that path, ever again. I bought a couple 2T's to replace 2 1T's I had outgrown and had close to 70,000 spining hours on the. They lasted a bit less than 30 days, dropping off the sata cables connecting then, never to be found again. Then I find they were shingled tech, and helium filled so the heads flew lower.

But I have experience with helium in large car load qty's of it and in 30 days I can guarantee those drives no longer had any Helium in them if there was any positive pressure inside them. This was about a year after JFK launched his effort to put men on the moon the first time.

A bank of 16 monel bottles, each about a foot in diameter and maybe 12 feet long, pumped up to about 7500 psia for the night at midnight at Stellardyne labs in Sandy Eggo while testing the atlas stuff that gave John Glenn his 1st full orbital ride, were down to around 5800 psia at 8 the next morning when the day shift got there. The Helium atom is so small it creeps between the atoms of tha monel, the best alloy for that. and heads for outer space never to be seen again.

And that was considered normal, and better thn the 50,000 gallon steel tank that caught and recyled the test cells output, we had a 6 stage cardox compress in the back yard that suck from that big tank and put it back on those monel bottles. With a guvmnt truck bringing in new to replace it 2x a week. In those days the guv automatically owned any helium recovered from deep in mines by air reduction techniques. It's a precious commodity, worth close to $100,000 a truckload in $1.75 min wage days. When its gone, its gone and we will exhaust the planets supply by filling party balloons with it. Filling hard drives with it to make the heads fly lower is idiocy. Regardless of how thick you cast the alu or pot metal of a drive housing, it will be gone much quicker than those monel bottles allowed.

They (Seagate) could have gotten a longer term lower head fly by sealing them up in a vacuum equ to the top of Everest.

Like Albert Eintsein said, the 2 most common things in the universe are stupidity and hydrogen, in that order.

You may not have arrived yet Karl, but I was there, busy testing the fuel pressure regulators for Atlas rockets and keeping my wife barefoot and pregnant, her choice for both.

Take care, stay warm, dry and well Karl.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis