Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 04:56:39PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I hope not to be too inflamatory with this. As you are surely aware,
>> last week Richard Stallman was reinstated as part of the Board of
>> Directors of the FSF. That is something deeply disturbing and
>> confidence-shattering for many of us.
>>
>> Some people have moved to action -- if nothing more, at least to
>> express they are disgusted with the turn of events
>
> I'm also disgusted with such hatred towards the person who started the
> whole "Free Software" thing, and personally did most of the work in the
> early days.

You seem very easily able to ascribe hatred to others, on the basis of
no evidence, which makes me wonder whether hatred might be an emotion
that you regularly feel yourself, and thus imagine it drives others.

If that is the case, you have my sympathy, because I have only very
occasionally managed to hate someone during my life, and I found it a
thoroughly unpleasant experience.

As it happens, I'm happy to give RMS the credit for the direction of
quite a lot of my life, given that I read the GNU manifesto at around
the time I left university, and the thinking therein was definitely a
major driver in me setting up my business supporting Free Software.

Despite the respect that inevitably goes with that, I just signed the
letter[1], not out of hate, but rather in the hope that RMS will not
again be placed in a position where he can further tarnish his
reputation with his obnoxious opinions about things other than Free
Software.

Cheers, Phil.

[1] https://rms-open-letter.github.io/