It seems that a good place to start for this project is defining what the
minimum system requirements for running the Debian-Win32 should be.  Here
is what I propose:

CPU:    Pentium.  Setting this as high as is reasonable makes for better
        optimization of the generated code.  While I think Pentium-II
        would be an even better choice, I assume it includes instructions
        not available on other high-end CPUs of today, such as the AMD
        Athalon.

OS:     Windows 2000 or XP.  Since 95/98/ME/NT are obsolete by MS standards,
        I don't think we need to support it.  Let's make use of the abilities
        of the newer operating system versions rather than try to be
        compatible across all of them.

RAM:    128MB.  This is already a requirement of Windoze.

DISK:   1GB.  This is also a requirement of Windoze.  Perhaps it should
        be 2GB to be able to hold both systems?

FS:     NTFS.  We need the extended abilities of this filesystem to come
        reasonably close to the Unix way of doing things.  VFAT is
        depricated by MS, anyway.

I believe the goal should be to compile as close to native Linu as
possible.  This will greatly ease the integration with other Debian
architectures as well as making the distribution consistant across all
the platforms it supports.  I think this to be a more important
consideration than trying to be consistant with other CygWin installations.

                                          Brian
                                 ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

  Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy!"...  until you can find a rock.