Thomas J. Taylor wrote:
Hi There,

I have a Derby database that is giving me a read-only error (25502), and I
don't know why. The database was working fine, up until about a month ago.
Now, I cannot INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE from the database - I always get
ERROR 25502. I checked Windows Security permissions (user has Full Control:
READ/MODIFY/WRITE/etc.), File attributes (all files in the database
directory are writable); finally, I deleted the 'db.lck' file that is in the
database directory.

Derby may set a database to be read-only if something goes wrong during the booting of the database (e.g., not able to create db.lck file). Is there any message written to derby.log during the booting of the system? It might be that you will get more information in derby.log if you run with on a recent build instead of a released version. (I guess it would be a good idea to try this on a copy of your database). I added more output to derby.log for this case in DERBY-555.

--
Øystein