Daniel Noll wrote:
Hi all.

I'm getting a load of errors like this.  They seem to happen at random times;
sometimes I see it when creating a statement, sometimes when executing,
sometimes when iterating over a result set.  Once I even had it happen when
creating the connection itself, which is hard to believe.

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ':
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.ShutdownException'.
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(SQLExceptionFactory.java:45)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Util.java:87)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.javaException(Util.java:244)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(TransactionResourceImpl.java:403)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(TransactionResourceImpl.java:346)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(EmbedConnection.java:2125)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(ConnectionChild.java:81)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(EmbedStatement.java:1325)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeStatement(EmbedPreparedStatement.java:1652)
        at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeQuery(EmbedPreparedStatement.java:277)

Does nextException for this exception give you any more information?
Have you checked derby.log? Maybe it contains information that could shed light on this.

--
Øystein