Hi Rick,

Can you confirm or not that Before Update and Before Insert triggers can or
cannot be used to modify column values on a table?

The answer to this question will help me understand the limitations in
an attempt to migrate the software as-is codewise to work with Derby.

The only way to get it to work with Derby if still desired might be to move
the logic into the code vs. relying on the DB to keep the data as needed.
It was done the way it is because it was available in all the target DBMSs
and the DB handling the data in the correct state being centralized kept
data and behavior consistent over any modifications inside or outside the
scope of the software.

We are also looking at HyperSQL to fill this need for a lighter weight,
transportable file based DBMS.  So far it appears to work with Before
Update and Insert they way needed and as the other working DBMS options
(again Oracle DB, SQL Server, DB2 LUW and DB2 zOS).   MySQL is another DBMS
that might be evaluated but not for this particular need.

Moving to using Procedures for rights seems off the path of feasibly
solving the need to intercepting DML statements to control column values
the application needs.

Thanks for trying to help, it is very much appreciated,
Steve