I don't think that using TopIcons is somehow bad or impure, it is just
inconsistent in whether or not it is maintained or not. The fact that we
have Topicons, TopIcons Plus, and TopIcons Redux just shows the
inconsistency. And our end-users all probably don't know which of the three
is the the one they should use. And this doesn't even begin to mention
KStatusNotifier which is Ubuntu's solution.

An extension for this purpose is fine imo, as long as it is made very well
clear WHICH extension.

I love @fmullner's idea of him taking on a "GNOME official" extension,
something that could even be bundled by default in the
"gnome-shell-extensions" package that many distros have:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/gnome-shell-extensions/

It seems like Florian has already expressed a willingness to step up in
this instance