Personally, my experiences with Matrix have been catastrophic so far. So
much
so that I'm convinced that Rocket.Chat, with all it's flaws and
misbehaviors, is
a better option on the long run.

The Riot application is hard to use. It took me days to figure out how to
connect
to a GNOME room. It doesn't allow me to log out of the servers. Fractal is
nice,
as I really like native clients, but Polari feels more polished. Matrix
apparently
doesn't allow turning off federation, and to me that's a no-go aspect of
it. At
last, I have a strong impression that Matrix suffers from feature bloat.

Rocket.Chat has been apparently more responsive to out contact, and even
accepted a few pull requests from us. I believe it has a brighter future,
specially
if a native GTK client shows up.