   Totem/gstreamer plays h264/mp4a stream choppy and out of sync. VLC/ffmpeg
plays stream perfectly.

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  Choppy video with Totem in 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu:

  When trying to play MP4 videos captured from my Galaxy Nexus and
  copied to the local hard drive, video playback in Totem is choppy.
  VLC has no problem.

  Videos used to work fine in Totem in Natty and Oneiric.  It appears
  that Totem is maxing out the core upon which it's running (cpu usage
  just over 25%... between 26% and 28% on a quad-core system).

  My video setup is dual nVidia GeForce 580 GTX's in SLI (SLI is not
  active), with dual monitors, using nvidia's driver (NOT
  nouveau...separate story - it fails miserably and locks up every
  time).

  I'm not sure how to gather additional information to help debug the
  issue, but if you ask, I can definitely try to provide as much
  information as possible.  I've attached a short  example video that
  should suffice to illustrate the issue.